Solar Battery Chargers
A solar battery charger is a popular portable device to charge pretty much anything, including rechargeable batteries, digital cameras, cell phones, laptops, PDA, MP3, and much more. Solar battery chargers are lightweight and foldable devices that can be used anytime the sun is out. Many solar chargers will also charge in overcast conditions. Solar chargers are a perfect portable application, which can be used for hiking, camping, and any other outdoor activities.
There are automotive solar chargers (great for cars, trucks, RV's, ATVs, tractors, mowers, and motorcycles), marine solar chargers (weatherproof designs for boats), PDA solar chargers (shatterproof devices for multiple charging units can be used to charge your PDA, iPod, cell phones, or any other low voltage battery device), and travel solar chargers (compact solar chargers for travel). Solar powered chargers can even be set up to supply your backwoods cabin with electric.
The size of a solar battery charger will vary based on the intended use. For instance, a cell phone solar charger is very small, while an auto battery charger can be huge. Large or small, solar chargers are extremely easy to use and maintenance free.
What you need to remember is that even the almighty solar energy has its limits. For instance, if you need to recharge a battery for an RV, boat, backwoods cabin, or house, it may take several days to charge such a large battery, even with direct sunshine and under ideal summertime light conditions. Overcast sky, shadows, or improper mounting angle will reduce the solar panel output.
Here are a few tips for those who wish to construct a solar battery charger with their own two hands:
- Before purchasing solar cells or panels for your solar battery charger,
calculate how many watts you will want it to produce per day. First
estimate your electrical requirements, and then check the amount of
watts that a panel is rated to produce. Base your solar panel efficiency
calculations on direct sunlight, but also compensate for clouds, shade,
panel angle, etc. Note that solar panels are rated for bright direct
sunlight, so it's a good idea to always over-size your solar array
to compensate for any possible variables that would decrease the output.
- Remember that you'll need to use a solar charge controller with
solar panels that have over 5W rated output. A charge controller will
help to improve charge quality, as well as to prevent battery overcharge
and discharge (under low light conditions). Solar controllers act
similar to an on/off switch for the power passing into the battery.
- Even though most solar devices are 12-24 DC Volt panels, solar panels
can be wired in series to deliver 24, 36, 48, and more DC Volts.
- The solar-generated 12 VDC power can be converted into regular 110
VAC with the aid of an inverter. However, note that changing power
types wastes generated power.
- Can you operate devices directly from your solar battery charger? Yes, you can, if these devices are not sensitive to voltage sags. The best way to operate most electric devices would be through a battery, which would provide stable and reliable power.
Want to know the secrets of building your own solar system?
Then I strongly recommend that you check out the guide from Earth4Energy.
It's the best step-by-step guide that will show you exactly how to build and install your own solar panel system. Click here to learn more
DIY Solar Panels
- Solar Panels DIY Guide
- Best Solar Panel Guides
- Earth4Energy Review
- Solar Panels For Home Use - Install Them Yourself
- DIY Solar Kits
- Solar Panel Construction
- Solar Panel Design
- HomeMadeEnergy Review
- Solar Panel Installation
- Solar Panel Wiring
- Solar Panel Regulators
- Grid Tie Inverter - How To Connect Your System To The Power Grid
- Solar Panel Mounts - Build Your Own To Save Money
- Solar Panel Efficiency
- Energy2Green Review
- GreenDIYenergy Review
- All About Organic Solar Cells And How To Make Them
- Solar Roof Tiles
- Green Power Easy Review
Solar Panels 101
- Solar Panel Technology Explained
- Photovoltaic Solar Energy
- Photovoltaic Solar Panels
- How Solar Cells Work
- Guide To Solar Panels Cells
- Advantages Of Thin Solar Panel Film
- Solar Panel Shingles - What Are The Benefits?
- Guide To Flexible Solar Panels
- Silicon Solar Cells - The Most Efficient Solar Material Today