How Many Batteries Does My Solar System Need?
Answer: Batteries help your solar system remain in use when the sun is tucked behind a cloud or has set for the night. When the sun is out and your solar panels are absorbing its energy, the conversion to electricity is instant. But what happens when the sun is not available? The ability to store solar energy in batteries and use it when sunlight is insufficient is a key component of solar systems.
The number of batteries your system needs depends on how much electricity you would like to produce. Batteries can also vary in size and storage capacity, so more energy does not necessarily mean more batteries, though it may mean bigger batteries. Batteries tend to be heavy however, so for households smaller batters in the 8V – 12V range are typically used.
As an alternative to batteries, your solar system can also tie into a grid. This means your excess electricity (that which you aren’t directly using) is fed back into your utility company’s storage system, often at a credit to you, instead of stored locally in batteries. Then when the sun is down or behind a cloud and its energy isn’t available to you, your system will revert to grid-based electricity.
It’s nice knowing that no matter which route you choose, solar panel installation kits are available as DIY projects, making the whole process even simpler.
Want to know the secrets of building your own solar system?
Then I strongly recommend that you check out the guide from Earth4Energy.
It's the best step-by-step guide that will show you exactly how to build and install your own solar panel system. Click here to learn more
DIY Solar Panels
- Solar Panels DIY Guide
- Best Solar Panel Guides
- Earth4Energy Review
- Solar Panels For Home Use - Install Them Yourself
- DIY Solar Kits
- Solar Panel Construction
- Solar Panel Design
- HomeMadeEnergy Review
- Solar Panel Installation
- Solar Panel Wiring
- Solar Panel Regulators
- Grid Tie Inverter - How To Connect Your System To The Power Grid
- Solar Panel Mounts - Build Your Own To Save Money
- Solar Panel Efficiency
- Energy2Green Review
- GreenDIYenergy Review
- All About Organic Solar Cells And How To Make Them
- Solar Roof Tiles
- Green Power Easy Review
Solar Panels 101
- Solar Panel Technology Explained
- Photovoltaic Solar Energy
- Photovoltaic Solar Panels
- How Solar Cells Work
- Guide To Solar Panels Cells
- Advantages Of Thin Solar Panel Film
- Solar Panel Shingles - What Are The Benefits?
- Guide To Flexible Solar Panels
- Silicon Solar Cells - The Most Efficient Solar Material Today